June 8, 2013

Thai peanut noodles {recipe}


First time I tried this dish was at Mr.Deb's. I babysat for her and she taught me many things about parenting, housekeeping, books, smart shopping and many other useful skills, especially cooking. Mrs. Deb was an amazing cook and she used to make amazing recipes from all over the world. Peanut noodles was my favorite dish she did.

Today I am sharing with you my own spin to this recipe as I am traveling a whole lot and can't always find all of the ingredients she originally used so I played around with different ingredients and then based on my boyfriends and my own taste I have put together a combo of ingredients which we  the enjoyed the most.

When it comes to quantities of each ingredients I am improvising a whole lot, depending on if I want to have some left overs for the next day lunch or not. The great thing about this recipe, other then being very easy to make is that it doesn't take to much time, it is quite inexpensive and you can make it all through the year with different seasonal vegetables.


  • INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut in stripes
  • 3 soup spoons of chunky natural peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
  • 8 ounces whole-wheat thick spaghetti or rice noodles
  • 3 mid size whole fresh peppers (red, green and yellow) 
  • 1 broccoli or shredded carrot (optional)
  • 1 mid size onion 
  • 4 spring onions 
  • a bit of fresh parsley

This recipe takes about 30 minutes to make, the most time you will spend washing and cutting vegetables and meat. First thing I do is that I get the water to boil for pasta and once water boils, I cook pasta for about 10 minutes and once done i just drain it on a side. 

While pasta is cooking I cut chicken breasts into thin stripes (same size as peppers) I poor some soy sauce onto them and leave them in a bowl (not to much just to soak and soften the meat a bit, there shouldn't be much soy sauce on the bottom of the bowl when you are ready to put the chicken in the wok). 
While chicken is sitting in the soy sauce I cut onion and 3 colorful peppers intro thin stripes. Then, I warm just a bit of olive oil in the bottom of the wok and brown the chicken with soy sauce in it, I add onion, wait for it to get tender, then I add the cut peepers and optionally broccoli cut in small pieces and cook it all on mid heat level until it softens. 

In the meantime I mix well minced fresh ginger, chunky peanut butter, soy sauce and optionally a bit of Mirin (Japanese wine) in a bowl, poor this mixture over chicken and vegetables and stir well. If you think it doesn't look creamy enough you can add some more peanut butter. 

Lastly, I add spring onion cut to very small pieces and fresh parsley and steer one more time for a minute, add pasta to wok with sauce and steer all carefully to combine and serve. 

Voila! Bon appetite lovelies! Let me know how it works for you if you try it!


You can find more of the recipes of my faovorite dishes and pastries I make on my Pinterest cooking board.



Post a Comment

Instagram